JVC Publishes "The Essential Guide to the
U.S. Trade in Gold and Silver Jewelry"
“The Essential Guide to the U.S. Trade in Gold and Silver Jewelry” (PDF)
Quick Reference Guide for Manufacturers and Sellers
of Jewelry Made of Silver and Karat Gold
Publication Explains How to Mark and Market Gold and Silver
Precious Metal Articles Using Existing and New Technologies.
Guide Underwritten by a Generous Grant from The Richline Group.
The Jewelers Vigilance Committee (JVC) has released a new publication, “The Essential Guide to the U.S. Trade in Gold and Silver Jewelry.” The Guide was developed to provide the trade with a clear explanation of the legal standards that govern the manufacture, sale and advertising of gold and silver industry products and can help the trade to provide clear, accurate information to consumers. Jewelers using new technologies to create new combinations and alloys of gold, silver and gold and other gold plated products must follow existing legal standards. Adhering to these standards can ensure legal compliance and consumer confidence.
Contents include JVC’s interpretation of the follow governing standards:
- The National Gold and Silver Stamping Act
- The Federal Trade Commission Guides for Jewelry, Precious Metal and Pewter
- Voluntary Product Standard (VPS) PS 68-76, reflects the accepted trade practice in the marking of articles made only of silver in combination with gold, either visually distinguished or not, and includes articles where the gold fully covers the base.
The Guide includes information that jewelry manufacturers must be familiar with and follow, including:
- When and How to Stamp Gold and Silver
- Gold: What is a Gold Alloy? Mechanical application of gold - gold filled, rolled gold plate and gold overlay; gold sheathing; Vermeil and combination gold and silver
- Silver: What is Solid Silver? Coin silver; silver coated or silver-plate and alternative metals
- A Gold Stamping Law Chart, including plating thickness
Said Cecilia L. Gardner, JVC's president, CEO and general counsel: "“Manufacturers that produce jewelry products using new technologies and the retailers that sell them, must mark, label and present the products according to the laws that govern our industry. JVC developed "The Essential Guide to the U.S. Trade in Gold and Silver Jewelry" in response to the many questions we receive from jewelers on how to mark and market these new combinations of precious metals. Jewelry companies that refer to JVC’s new publication for guidance can help to ensure legal compliance and bolster consumer confidence. JVC is very grateful toThe Richline Group
for their generous grant to publish this important new guide."
JVC members will receive a copy of the new precious metals publication with their renewal membership packets.
Industry members can email questions to Jo-Ann Sperano, JVC’s Paralegal/Mediator and Precious Metals Industry Expert at firstname.lastname@example.org
or to order multiple copies of JVC’s Gold and Silver Guide.
Click here for information about JVC’s legal compliance products and services.